I love brownies, and I have been on a search for the best brownie recipe. America's Test Kitchens said this was their favorite brownie, so I decided to trust them and go for it! They are very different from most brownies, but they were delicious and my family devoured them. I pulled the pan out of the oven to let the brownies cool, and I was planning to take a picture of them when they were still in the pan. Before I could even say a word, my mom had a knife and started cutting them. I was so mad at her for messing them up and I had a small panic attack.. I felt horrible after I got mad at my mom, and I quickly apologized and made her a pretty plate with a brownie on it. I don't know why I was so angry at her for just wanting a brownie, but I definitely learned a lesson. It's crazy how something so small and pointless could make me so mad. I love my mom and her love for chocolate. She has taught me so much! Life's short, so loosen up and eat a brownie!
The Baked Brownie
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces of dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I used instant coffee powder and it turned out good)
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9x13 inch glass pan. Line the pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt and cocoa powder together.
3. Put the chocolate, butter and espresso powder in a bowl and set it over a pot of simmering water. Let the chocolate and butter melt, and stir occasionally. Once the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth, turn off the heat but leave the bowl over the water. Add the sugar and brown sugar, and whisk until completely combined, and remove the bowl from the pot. The mixture should be room temperature, but if it is still hot then let it cool off.
4. Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the other 2 eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula. Do not overbeat the mixture at this point or the brownies will be cakey.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, and fold it in using a rubber spatula. Do not use a whisk. Fold the flour in gently until only a little bit of flour is still visible.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs on it.

What a GREAT blog, Elisabeth!!!
ReplyDeleteLife is short and I should loosen up and eat brownie but I would have to run 20 miles in the morning! Just kidding! Fabulous Blog! You sweetly remind me not to sweat the small stuff! Thanks! R
ReplyDeleteYes, I mindlessly, impulsively dug right into your pan before they cooled off a bit! Because I had been thinking about them and smelling them for just alittle too long and my chocolaholic animal instinct just took control over me - I could have atleast asked first. I felt so bad, but when you brought me the consolation plate with the warm brownie, ice cream and chocolate syrup, I didn't want to dissappoint you again, so I ate the whole thing- it was worth every calorie. You are a wonderful baker and I love you too!!
ReplyDelete