I recently found this blog that I LOVE and I have been dying to try a recipe from it. I decided to make triple chocolate cupcakes, which turned out delicious, and doughnuts. I've made doughnuts before but this recipe looked really good so I gave it a try. They were so good and it was hard to eat just one.
Yeasted Doughnuts
For the dough:
3-3¼ cups all-purpose flour (15-16¼ oz.)
2¼ tsp. instant yeast
6 tbsp. sugar (2½ oz.)
½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces, at room temperature
3-3¼ cups all-purpose flour (15-16¼ oz.)
2¼ tsp. instant yeast
6 tbsp. sugar (2½ oz.)
½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces, at room temperature
- For the frying:
- She called for 6 cups of vegetable shortening.. but I only used about 3.
- For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the glaze topping:
1 box confectioners sugar
A few tablespoons of milk until it is runny and how you like it.
Directions:
To make the dough, in a medium bowl combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar and salt . Stir together with a whisk and set aside.
To make the dough, in a medium bowl combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar and salt . Stir together with a whisk and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the milk and eggs. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed for 3-4 minutes or until a ball of dough forms. With the mixer on low speed, add the softened butter a piece at a time, mixing for about 15 seconds between each addition. Continue mixing for about 3 minutes longer, adding the remaining flour 1 tablespoon at a time if necessary, until the dough forms a ball.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled in size, 2-2½ hours.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it to a thickness of ½ inch. Cut the dough into rounds using a 2½-3 inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Use a smaller circle cutter to cut the hole out of the middle of each, creating the doughnut shape. Reroll and cut the dough scraps as necessary to make use of all the dough.
Place the shaped doughnuts and doughnut holes onto a lightly floured baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until slightly puffy, 30-45 minutes.
Add the shortening to a pot and heat it until you can drop some dough in and it fries. (I didn't use a candy thermometer.)
Place the rings and holes in carefully and let fry until golden brown (usually 20-30 seconds on each side.)
Remove the doughnuts from the oil and place on a paper towel covered cooling rack with aluminum foil underneath.
Cool the doughnuts before topping them with glaze or cinnamon sugar. I found that the cinnamon sugar would not stay on the doughnut so I ended up dipping each one in the oil for a second before dipping them in the cinnamon sugar and it worked great!
Tucker was more than happy to taste test them for me and he said they were great!
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment